
Before reading the article ‘Technology in Early Childhood’ by Sue Smorti, I had not made the connection that technology was anything other than items such as computers, cell-phones and cameras. I am now aware that technology is simply about helping people and solving problems (Smorti, 1999). It can also be referred to as “a creative and purposeful activity aimed at meeting needs and opportunities through the development of products, systems or environments” (Smorti, 1999, p. 5). “Technology is intervention by design: the use of practical and intellectual resources to develop products and systems (technological outcomes) that expand human possibilities by addressing needs and realising opportunities” (Ministry of Education, 2007, p. 32). Can-Yasar, Inal, Uyanik & Kandir state that “technology covers the efforts to determine human needs and fulfil these needs using available knowledge, materials, sources and energy” (2012, p. 375). It was from the two mentioned readings that I came to identify that the children were actually involved with technology in the outdoors through using their knowledge, skills, and resources to find solutions to their problems in the following situation.
A child at my centre decided he wanted to turn our wooden platform into a pirate ship as he wanted to become the ‘captain pirate’ with his friends as the ‘boat worker pirates’. He decided that he needed to make a flag for his ship, but when we went to stick the flag up with the tape he had chosen, it fell down because the wood was slightly damp. I asked him if there was anything else he thought we could use to stick the flag up. “We could use the staple gun, because that is what Teacher T uses when she makes tents with blankets up here” he responded. We used the staple gun, which we found was an effective choice of tool. The children involved also chose to make a plank for their pirate ship, made out of our wood rounds which we have around the playground. They found some of the larger wood stumps were too heavy to roll, so opted to use a wheel barrow to transport them over to the platform. Between two children they could lift the wood into the wheelbarrow and wheel it over to the pirate ship easily. “Growing experience in solving problems together develops children’s understanding of how technologies can help them and others” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p. 96). I found this experience to be interesting as the children were able to think of ways to solve their own problems and make the situation work with minimal help from myself as the educator. It is beneficial for children if educators avoid unnecessary intervention (Ministry of Education, 1996). I believe it is important for educators to step back and observe situations to see how children respond and act on them for themselves, to enable them to take control while they learn about the world around them. Therefore I agree that children’s “capability in solving practical problems contributes to self-confidence and well-being” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p. 94). The children used physical skills through lifting the wood rounds and operating the wheel barrow, social and emotional skills and language through discussion on how to best solve the problems and during the process of working together to make it happen. They also used the resources they could find, such as the staple gun and the wheelbarrow. From reflecting on this experience, I now feel I need to increase my knowledge and understanding of technology, and the technical language to convey the information to children to best extend the children’s and my own learning in this area.
References
Can-Yasar, M., Inal, G., Uyanik, O., & Kandir, A. (2012). Using technology in pre-school education. Retrieved from ERIC, EBSCO host.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Early childhood curriculum Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa .Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, 19,5-10.
I agree Alysha! I too would not have associated technology with anything other than computers, cell phones and cameras before reading ‘Technology in Early Childhood’ by Sue Smorti and participating in the ‘People, places, things and events’ course. Technology is not only about electronic equipment such as the latest digital gadgets, which unfortunately is sometimes all it’s identified with. It is important to understand that technological activities and tools help to develop children’s innovation, enquiry and curiosity (Ministry of Education, 2007). Smorti (1999), states that technology is about helping people and solving problems. It can be an innovative and purposeful activity designed to meet our needs through the development of products, systems or environments. I like how you identified the staple gun as technology, as it helped the children to solve the problem of how to stick the flag up. It was nice to see that you recognised the children’s ability to solve problems which is an important aspect of technology! Without having the teachers take a step back and let the children attempt to figure things out on their own, they will not be able to develop their problem solving skills. I have found that these ‘non-digital’ technologies are just as important and digital technologies, yet they are often overlooked. Have you considered any other forms of technology that could have helped the children in your centre achieve the same outcome? Perhaps the simple drawing pin or a hammer and nails, which is also considered technology. Thank you for an intriguing read, Alysha!
ReplyDeleteI was also struggling to comprehend how anything non-digital could be classified as technology. Like Danielle, my understanding of what technology is was clarified during the People, places and events lectures at course. Sue Smorti’s 1999 reading Technology in early childhood” also helped me gain a better understanding. I was astonished that something as simple as a crayon is classified as technology. “Technology is about helping people solve problems” (Smorti, 1999, p.5). I liked the way you gave the children the opportunity to problem solve instead of solving it for them. “Technology emphasises creative and productive aspects of problem solving” (Smorti, 1999, p.6). This was clearly evident when the child suggested using the staple gun instead of the cellotape to hold up the flag which kept falling off and when the children were finding the heavier pieces of wood difficult to move manually and decided to use the wheelbarrow to transport the wood instead. This gave children the opportunity to make decisions and problem solve, both suggested learning outcomes in Te Whāriki (Ministry of Education, 1996). “Capability in solving practical problems contributes to self-confidence and well-being” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.94). Ka Pai! The learning experience made this happen. It is important for teachers to have an understanding of scientific principles supporting technology as well as the technical language to describe processes to scaffold children’s learning in this area (Smorti, 1999). I have made this a goal for my professional development and perhaps you might want to consider this as well?
ReplyDeleteAlysha! I also thought technology was just digital items, like the computer, camera, i pad. But after reading the article by Smorti I now know that technology is also about problem solving. "Technology is about helping people solve problems" (Smoorti, 1999, p.6).
ReplyDeleteAlysha I liked how you let the children solve their own problems by stepping back and observing the situation so the children can act and respond themselves and learn about the world around them.
I also feel I need to increase my knowledge and understanding of Technology."As a learner, my ideas about technology are still developing, and I expect they will change as I continue to research and reflect on what is happening for educators and children as we explore technology in the early childhood curriculum" (Smorti,1999, p.9).
Reference List
Smorti,S. (1999). Technology in early childhood. Early Education, 1, 5-10.