A four year old boy at my centre was showing a strong interest in insects. One particular morning he was outside searching for insects, turning over logs and searching behind the trees along the fence. He found a spider, which although we knew was a daddy long legs (Pholcidae) he decided was a white tail spider (Lampona cyclindrata). Instead of catching the ‘deadly’ spider, he asked me if he could take a picture. Providing children access to technological products can be used to increase children’s motivations to learn and encourage problem solving skills (Jonassen, Howland, Marra & Crismond, as cited in Can-Yasar, Inal, Uyanik & Kandir, 2012). With some reluctance, I offered the camera to him rather than taking the photograph myself. I first asked him to show me how to hold it safely, and which buttons to press to take a photo and view them. He was unsure of how to hold the camera without covering the lens as he had not had experience with a real camera before. However, after I showed him how to safely hold it without covering the lens he was quite competent at taking the photographs on his own! From this experience I have come to agree that the educator’s role in children’s effective use of technology is important (Fischer & Gillespie, as cited in Can-Yasar, et al., 2012). I believe this is because children need to be taught correctly in order for them to feel confident with using devices, and understand their purpose and what they do. He took a few shots and then asked if he could continue looking for other insects and take photos of them. I was amazed at his ability to operate the camera, and he had produced some wonderful pictures. To continue his journey with the camera, I decided it would be beneficial if he could see the whole process of creating the end product which appears in his portfolio. He plugged the camera into the computer and chose which pictures he wanted in his portfolio. He named the page “Scary Bugs”. He also decided he wanted to write a story about his insects, which I wrote for him in his words. When he had decided he was finished, we went to the printer to pick it up and he placed the page in his portfolio. I felt this learning story was the most meaningful in his whole portfolio, as he had been the one to create it, and consisted of his own view of his experience. “… children need to be active participants in planning and take responsibility for their own learning as this increases self-motivation and self-efficacy” (Cowie, as cited in Whyte, 2010, p. 24). I had never thought about giving children control over the camera for fear that it might get damaged. On reflection, I feel that children should be able to earn our trust, and show us what they are capable of, but this can only happen if we give them opportunities to show us they can be trusted, in this case be respectful of equipment. I feel through this experience I have realised children have the ability to do more than I expect from them – given the opportunity, children will achieve highly. For example, I was amazed to see how capable the child was with using the camera; I had just never seen the children have the chance to give it a go. I believe through this experience I enabled the child to feel responsible for their own learning, empowered, and confident that they can do things themselves (Ministry of Education, 1996). Children learn by doing, therefore I believe it is important that we give children further ways to extend their understanding about technology, and what they themselves are capable of (Ministry of Education, 1996).

References
Can-Yasar, M., Inal, G., Uyanik, O., & Kandir, A. (2012). Using technology in pre-school education. Retrieved from ERIC, EBSCO host.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Early childhood curriculum Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa .Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Whyte, M. (2010). Collaborating with children and Whanau in assessment for learning. Early Childhood Folio. 14 (2),21-25.
Tino Pai Alysha! I love the detail of the experience you shared! I can understand how you must have felt when the child asked you for the camera to take a photo of the spider. We often assume that children are incapable of being careful with expensive items, yet they will often surprise us! It is very important that the children be exposed to experiences like these using technological pieces of equipment as they are growing up in an information society. As teachers we need to educate them on the skills required to use these technological items in order for them to survive (Smorti, 1999). I agree with you that teachers need to update their technological skills for the benefit of the children’s learning as; “Well-prepared teachers, who recognize the power and limitations of technology, are needed now more than ever” (Tsantis, Bewick & Thornton, 2003, p. 10). To do this we must be willing to learn. I loved that you enabled the child to produce his own learning story out of his photos, and agree that this would have been very meaningful for the child. Did you consider allowing the child to create a slide show out of his photos to share with the class? This could be an intriguing example of incorporating more technological experiences within the centre and enhance the child’s sense of pride as he shows his peers. “Capability in solving practical problems contributes to self-confidence and well-being” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p. 94).
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely meaningful learning experience for the boy. Good on you for letting him use the camera. I think that when it comes to letting children use digital devices we teachers tend to focus on ‘what happens if it breaks?’ instead of focusing on the great learning opportunities that can occur through these devices and also how capable and competent the children are! Digital cameras used to document children’s work provide great learning opportunities for them as photographs can be printed immediately and teachers can discuss what has happened almost as it happens. Books can be made using these photographs to help children sequence the leaning that has occurred during the project thus supporting emergent literacy learning (Mac Naughton & Williams, 2009). I agree with you that this learning story is the most meaningful one for him in his portfolio to date as he had such input and was so involved in creating it. When teachers follow the child’s interest, the child’s learning is more meaningful as they are constructing knowledge and finding meaning instead of passively receiving the information (Gonzalez-Mena, 2011). I like the way you made him see the process from taking the photograph to how it ended up as a learning story in his portfolio. By engaging children in in-depth study of a topic, children get to see the different stages/processed involved and get a better comprehension of the topic (Clark, 2007). Since the child has shown an interest in technology, maybe next time you can consider extending his interest by introducing him to different technology based learning experiences for example introducing him to websites on the internet about insects?
ReplyDeleteAlysha, you did support the child in your centre through various teaching techniques such as encouraging, helping, facilitating, listening, suggesting and scaffolding. Especially, you used scaffolding as the technological “structure of support … to provide guidance and support to children moving from one level of competence to another” (MacNaughton & Williams, 2009, p. 370).
ReplyDeleteI understand your reluctance to offer technological devices to young children at first, as I experienced the same thing in my centre. However, you realized the importance of empowering children in their own view of experiences. Also, you learned the importance of technology education to further enhance their learning.
Even though it is a bit challenge to embrace technology in the early childhood curriculum area (Smorti, 1999), I agree with you it is important to provide more opportunities to the children in terms of technological experience so that children learn to value of technological literacy such as excellence, diverse enquiry, participation, and respect for themselves and others (Ministry of Education, 2007).
Reference
MacNaughton, G., & Williams, G. (2009). Techniques for teaching young children: Choices in theory and practice (3rd ed.). Melbourne, Australia: Addison Wesley Longman.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand Curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in early childhood. Early Education, 1, 5-10.
Excellent Alysha, I really enjoyed reading your in-depth and informative reflection on children using the digital camera as a technological tool. Like you, I was also surprised to see how competent the children are at taking their own photos! You stated that “children need to be taught correctly in order for them to feel confident with using devices, and understand their purpose and what they do”, I believe discussing the safety of looking after the camera is important because children are then able to recognise the importance of respecting and valuing the technological tool. I agree with you that educator’s role in children’s effective use of technology is vital. I believe technology cannot reach its full potential without an education component, and that component is the teachers “technology growing experience in solving problems together develops children’s understanding of how technologies can help them and others (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.96)”. I like how you involved the child in the process of documenting their experience, getting him to choose the photos he wants for creating his page for his portfolio. Children’s photos are a form of art, so it is important that their artwork is displayed. Displaying their work gives them a sense of belonging in their work and environment. I believe when children can revisit their experience by looking through their photos of themselves in their portfolio, they can immediately sense that they have a sense of belonging, that contributes to their inclusion in a community of learners (Good, 2009). They can take pride and joy in the photos they accomplished in their technological journey using the camera.
ReplyDeleteReference List:
Good ,L. (2009). Teaching and learning with digital photography: tips and tools for early childhood classrooms. United States of America: Corwin Press.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Alysha, I also understood your reluctance to let the child use the camera to take photos as I had this fear when I first let children use the centre's camera. I feel it was a good decision to let him have a turn, as he is learning technology skills which are increasing his knowledge and confidence in this area.
ReplyDeleteThe child is also learning by doing and his own perspective of the world. "A creative and purposeful activity aimed at meetings needs and opportunities through the development of products, systems or environments" (Smorti, 1999, p.5).
You had a similar experience to my first reflection and I am pleased you let the child make his own learning story and you have the child's voice on what happened as he saw it, as our interruption can be very different." Children use a variety of technologies for different purposes as they explore their world" (Ministry of education, 1996, p.98).
Reference List
Ministry of Education. (1996).Te Whariki: He Whariki matauranga
mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum.
Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in early childhood. Early Education,
1,5-10.